5 fun facts about hearing:
- Fish do not have ears, but they can hear pressure changes through ridges on their body.
- The ear’s malleus, incus and stapes (otherwise known as the hammer, anvil and stirrup) are the smallest bones in the human body. All three together could fit together on a penny.
- The ear continues to hear sounds, even while you sleep.
- Sound travels at the speed of 1,130 feet per second, or 770 miles per hour.
- Sitting in front of the speakers at a rock concert can expose you to 120 decibels, which will begin to damage hearing in only 7 1/2 minutes.